Tuesday, July 17, 2007

on being a photographer.


I come from a very creative gene pool. My mom is a talented artist of many mediums; my sister, equally as talented. I somehow missed out on getting the drawing gene, but the fire for creativity burns fiercely inside me.

A few years ago, when I went back to school to finish my business degree, I had to fulfill an art requirement and drawing, painting and sculpture were all off the table. I knew we had an SLR hiding in a closet somewhere, so I signed up for photography 101 with the amazingly talented Brendan Regan. I learned how to print a contact sheet, I learned how to develop film, make a print, and learned how to manipulate the settings on my camera for the desired compositional effect. All of this, I expected to learn, as that was what I paid my money for.

What I didn't expect to learn was that I had a passion for this medium, and even better, a talent for it. It didn't take much coercion to register me for 102, and subsequently, 103. It was somewhere in the many hours I spent in the darkroom, by myself, in complete bliss, that I realized that I wanted to be a photographer when I grew up...which is what brings me here today.